ArmInfo. Within the project of Armenia-Iran aerial (overhead) 400 kV capacity power transmission line appropriate works on equipment purchase, ground works and poles mounting launched last year.
According to Armenian Ministry of Energy Infrastructures and Natural Resources Loans and Grants Department Head Hrayr Haroutyunyan, whose words are quoted by the press office of the Ministry, at different sectors of the transmission line around 100 km approach roads have been lined and constructed, also an engineer-geological investigation of corner and anchor has been implemented. Besides, fundaments were constructed for 59 poles and feet, comprising 39 imbedded in concrete, and 6 poles have been mounted fully. The works on demarcation of 706 poles have been also completed. All the metallic constructions and units for another 13 poles have been imported. At Noravan substation the works have been implemented on construction of 620 meters length fence. For the construction of power transmission line 15 community owned and 23 privately owned land sites have been purchased.
As Deputy Minister of Energy Infrastructures and Natural Resources of Armenia Hayk Harutyunyan said to ArmInfo, upon completion of the construction of two power transmission lines (Iran-Armenia and Armenia-Georgia), the reciprocal cross-flow of electric energy Will exceed the current indicators almost 10-fold, which will allow the republic to become a serious transmitter of electricity.
The deputy minister said that Armenia is conducting an active policy in terms of regional integration and trade expansion. The country is building two power transmission lines (Iran-Armenia and Armenia- Georgia), which will be simultaneously completed in 2019.
Upon completion of the construction, he said, Armenia will not only enhance its image as a transmitter, but will also considerably increase the efficiency of consumption of the current capacities in the country by creating new capacities for electricity export. "At the present stage, electricity holds the 6th positions in terms of export. We are planning to rise by several positions in this rating," he said.
The construction of the Armenia-Georgia and Iran-Armenia power transmission lines will enable creation of a single energy corridor. The project envisages installation of 722 electric poles. Almost all the sections through which the power transmission line will be laid have already been bought out. The equipment imported to Armenia has already been tested.
Earlier ArmInfo reported that Armenia intends to create a regional electric power market with its partners in the region. Armenian Deputy Minister of Energy Infrastructures and Natural Resources Areg Galstyan said in Parliament on October 26 that the need to create conditions for effective parallel activities of the power grids of Iran, Georgia, Armenia and Russia. The construction of Iran- Armenia and Armenia- Georgia high voltage power transmission lines will create all the necessary prerequisites for that. Both projects will be implemented by the end of 2019. At the same time, Georgia is negotiating with Russia on construction of a new 500KV power transmission line and substations, which will enable not only reciprocal cross-flows of electric power, but also commercial deals. At the moment, a coordination group at the level of deputy ministers of the four countries is actively working to launch the projects. By late 2019 the 1 thsd MW North-South energy corridor will operate at full capacity. He stressed that Armenia will both economically and politically benefit even from electric power transit. To note, SUNIR (Iran) has received official permit to build a 400KV Iran-Armenia power transmission line. The relevant decision was taken during the Government's meeting on April 28. The permit was provided under the memorandum signed between Armenia and Iran in May 2006. To recall, the Armenian Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources and the Export Development Bank of Iran signed the agreement on construction of 400KV Iran-Armenia power transmission line in August 2015. The total cost of the project is 107.9 mln EUR. The Iranian Bank will provide 77% of the amount, with the remaining 23% to be provided by the general contractor - SUNIR. The total length will be 279km. The line will be laid from Meghri to Hrazdan, where a 440/220KV substation will be built 10 km away from the Hrazdan TPP. From the latter a new 400KV power transmission line will be laid to Georgia
under another project (at the expense of a KfW loan with co- financing of EIB and the EU. The total financing will be 105.2 mln EUR).