ArmInfo. "Rostelecom" decided to actively develop the Armenian GNC-Alfa operator, the issue of sale was removed from the agenda. This, as reported by Interfax, was reported to journalists by president of the largest Russian telecom operator, Mikhail Oseevsky.
In December 2021, Oseevsky stated that the company is looking for a buyer for the Armenian GNC-Alfa fixed-line operator, with a starting price of around $25 million.
As ArmInfo reported, on January 19, 2022, the RA Public Service Regulatory Commission approved on January 19 the sale of the 100% shares of Filor Ventures Limited, the only stockholder of Rostelecom Armenia, (GNC-Alfa, daughter company of Rostelecom), to Molitro Holdings Limited (Cyprus) founded by RA citizen Arman Hunanyan and the Electric Networks of Armenia CJSC. It should be noted that Electric Networks of Armenia CJSC itself belongs to the founder of the Tashir group of companies Samvel Karapetyan and his family. Also, through the Russia-based Forabank the Karapetyan family own almost 11% of the Ucom company, which is one of Armenia's mobile operators. Ucom gave assurances earlier that they are not a direct or indirect purchaser of GNC- Alfa CJSC. Rostelecom planned to close the deal in the first quarter of 2022, but after the start Russian-Ukrainian conflict postponed it.
"Now the issue of selling (GNC-Alfa - IF) was removed from the agenda, we have decided on its active development," Oseevsky said on March 16 on the sidelines of the congress of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs. He noted that Rostelecom's Wink video service has been launched in Armenia, and the construction of a data center is underway. "We continue to work. The company (GNC-Alfa, Interfax note) finished last year very well, we are satisfied," the head of Rostelecom said.
"GNC-Alfa" (CJSC subsidiary of Rostelecom PJSC ) was founded in 2007. Rostelecom bought 75% minus one share of GNC-Alfa in February 2012 for US$22.5 million. This was the provider's first acquisition outside of Russia. At the same time, Rostelecom received an option to purchase the remaining 25% plus one share in GNC-Alfa.
In August 2019, purchased the rest 25.02% of GNC-Alfa for RUB 507mln. It was in the winter of 2018 that the media first reported Rostelecom's intention to sell its daughter company. "We are thinking about how much this business is complementary to us. Our task is not to sell it. However, other global actors' experience shows that such inter-country synergy is not obvious," Mikhail Oseevsky, Rostelecom President, stated then. "Different laws, different client base, products. So we are thinking about how we can most effectively organize our work - including through sale," he said. In mid-September 2021, Mikhail Oseevsky stated that the company was seeking a purchaser of the Armenian communication operator GNC- Alfa, with the opening bid of about $25mln.
Rostelecom-Armenia is one of the leading telecommunication operators in Armenia, which has since 2021 been providing broadband Internet access, smart IP TV services, high-quality stationary telephone communication, and a number of cloud-based services to individuals and corporate clients. The company has introduced the GPON technology in Armenia. The company's optic-fiber network has a total length of 2,500km and covers 80% of Armenia's territory. The network is connected to the regional mainline communications networks and international Internet channels through Georgia and Iran.